Answers at the bottom. Stop in to Letsch Law Firm if you want explanations.
True or False?
- If you die without a will, the state gets your money.
- You can totally cut your spouse out of your will, if you want to.
- A verbal contract is not enforceable.
- If you are suing someone for $6,000, you can do it in small claims court.
- If you are paying the tuition for your child’s college attendance, you have a right to know what his or her grades are.
- You can get kicked out of college for breaking the law, even if it is not on school property.
- If the police officer does not show up for court, your speeding ticket will be dismissed.
- If you loan your car to someone else, and that person is involved in an accident, you can be held responsible for the damages.
- If you get a ticket for not having proof of insurance with you, all you have to do is show up at court and show your insurance card to the judge, and you will not have to pay anything.
- You must have a marriage license in order to get married in Iowa.
- You do not have to be an ordained minister to perform a marriage ceremony in Iowa.
- If you pay your child support directly to your child’s other parent, you can send a receipt to Child Support Recovery and get credit for having paid it.
- If your child’s other parent does not pay child support, you are justified in denying visitation.
- You have a legal right to visit your grandchildren.
- You can use a health care power of attorney to force your parent into a nursing home, against his or her wishes, if he or she has dementia.
- Medicaid is the best way to pay for long term care.
- There are benefits available to veterans and widows of veterans of WWII and the Korean War that go unclaimed because they do not know to ask for them.
- A married couple must spend all of their money, except $2,000, in order to qualify for Medicaid.
False: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18; True: 6, 8, 10, 11, 17